Water play is always a good go-to for children and the AquaPlay Super set is a great option. Whenever I set this up for the preschool kidlets it was guaranteed there’d be no extra spaces left vacant around it! The various pieces from the water paddle to the pump give them seeing-is-believing, hands-on experiences with the physics of water.
The AquaPlay Super Set is actually 2 sets combined. You can get one part, the AquaPlay box from Hearth Song. The AquaPlay Box comes with its own carrying case that also holds all its 21 pieces. It also doubles as a system of byways where its truck can roll down a road or its boat float down a canal. Operating the locks and controlling the flow of water throughout the canals was always a main attraction for the preschool kiddos and I’m sure it will be with yours as well.
Without a doubt your child(ren) will want to PLAY ON and I concur—this is a fantastic, imagination-rich toy for children 3 years and older!
With that said, though, there are some drawbacks:
- Adults are required for assembly. Be prepared, for that first time, that it’s going to take quite a bit of time in fact. You’ll need to put on the strips that prevent water from leaking when the pieces are connected. Plus you’ll need to add the stickers to create lanes. Once that’s finished, you’ll find laying it for assembly is a huge help.
- You have to develop a ‘knack’ to connect the pieces—the pieces are very stiff and non-compliant initially (and really for several assemblies down the line)—you’ll know you’ve got the pieces in correctly when you hear a ‘click’. As difficult as it is to connect the pieces, you need to be somewhat gentle taking them apart to avoid breaking key parts of the piece.
- The PUMP! It can be the source for a lot of frustration. It takes work pumping the handle up and down; precision keeping the bottom of the pump in the water; and patience for the TIME needed to be able to draw UP the water. BUT once they see how the water comes gushing out of the spout it’ll be worth it and they’ll keep at it…besides, sometimes learning something new is challenging! That’s why doing it in a PLAY setting is perfect—there’s no downside.
- PRICE—getting both sets together will save you money but it’s still a very expensive toy. Hearth Song offers the other component occasionally but it’s also available on Amazon.
- So I said water play for kidlets is great—and it IS—but for adults that might not be the case. If you choose the AquaPlay Super Set make sure you either set it up outside OR clear out a rather large area in the kitchen with a lot of towels available…the floor WILL get wet, as will your kidlets!