Below is the basic recipe for AromatheraPLAY™ dough. I always add color and a scent to mine; often including a different texture later.
Large pot, 6 quart
Large plastic bag
(4) C plain flour
(2) C salt
(4) C water
(1/2) C Cream of Tartar
(4) Tbsp cooking oil Plus any coloring* and/or scent
* Use food coloring or concentrated paste in whatever amounts necessary to create the desired color intensity.
• Measure out and place all dry ingredients in pot, mix well
• Make a depression (or well) in the center of the dry ingredients
• Add whatever color and scent you’d like to (2) C of water
• Pour into the center well of dry ingredients
• Add remaining (2) C of water plus (4) Tbsp of oil to liquids in pot
• Mix thoroughly
• Turn stove top on to low setting
• Continue stirring until dough thickens up (keep scrapping the bottom so it doesn’t stick/burn)
• It’ll clump into a big ball–remove from heat
• Allow to cool some–I tended to rush this step a bit…
• When dough is cool enough for you, take a handful and knead it until smooth; place in zip-lock bag
• Continue kneading and store all the dough in zip-lock bag
• Store bag in refrigerator to keep dough fresh for a long (and I’m talking months) time!
NOTE: If you happen to leave your dough out overnight and it dries out some, just knead in small amounts of water until it’s been returned to suppleness.
Below for some examples of scents and textures you can add to playdough. I’d highly recommend making homemade dough with your child. It does take awhile, but it’s worth it!
Aromas to Add (1-2 oz):
Textures to Add:
Read about the benefits of playing with playdough here!