I was kind of left with my mouth on the floor when I found out what day it was…Video Games Day?!! Really? We need a day to encourage and celebrate playing video games? (sigh)
How about trying for a NO-Video Games Day? Now that would be something out of the ordinary!!
I’m not going to say video games don’t have a place or don’t have any beneficial aspects (read 6 Scientific Benefits) but they are inappropriate for young children.
Young children need PLAY!
Consider PLAY as one of the basic needs of children. It is the way their brains are designed to learn. In fact, PLAY is the way they learn best! PLAY addresses all areas of development in a holistic way, natural way.
PLAY requires children to be active participants!
They aren’t passive audience members being entertained,
BUT the inventors, engineers and architects of their PLAY!
The Many Benefits of PLAY
When young children PLAY they are developing the tools they’ll need for LIFE. PLAY:
• Is essential for brain development
• Stimulates a child’s creativity and fosters their imagination
• Nurtures feelings of compassion and empathy
• Develops problem-solving skills, divergent and creative thinking
• Bolsters self-confidence and independence
And these are just some of the benefits of PLAY!
The Risks of Screens
Video games tend to lead to:
• Too much screen time which has been linked to chronic stress
• Chronic stress impacts a child’s ability to:
·regulate emotions/tolerate boredom or frustration
• Less physical activity
• Decreased social interaction
• Increased exposure to violence
• Increased exposure to sexist images
As I noted above, video games are not without some positives. One benefit often touted is multitasking. I’ll give you a heads up: Read the Myth of Multitasking before encouraging their use!
PLAY could be considered an ENDANGERED ACTIVITY. This would not good for the overall health and wellness of our children.
LET’S CHANGE THAT!
While your kidlets are young, especially, make an effort to insure they are able to PLAY—fully in body, mind and spirit!
Yours in Play!